This lesson is part of the Lesson on Conversion Series. Converting Decimals to Fractions, and/ or Percentages are usually part of questions on numerical ability.You may also need this skill when dealing with word problems involving ratio and proportion, and money problems involving discounts, interest, and profit.
Before we go on with our lesson, let me again remind you some basic points to remember when converting Fractions, Decimals, and Percent:
- In a fraction, the top number is the Numerator and the bottom number is the Denominator.
- Be careful when counting the decimal places. Here, decimal place refers to the number of digits to the right of a decimal point. So, in 0.25, 25 has two decimal places; in 0.001, 1 has three decimal places; in 0.058, 58 has three decimal places; and in 0.06, 6 has two decimal places.
- The number to the left of the decimal point is the integer. The number to the right of the decimal point is the fractional part.
- ‘Percent’ is a number or ratio expressed as a fraction of 100.
Converting a Decimal to a Fraction:
- Find the numerator: The number that you have without the decimal point is the numerator.
- Find the denominator: Count the decimal places (remember what I taught you earlier). If there is only one decimal place, the denominator is 10. If there are two decimal places, the denominator is 100. If there are three places, the denominator is 1000. If you can see the pattern, it’s 1+ the number of zeroes depending on the decimal places.
- If there is a number to the left of the decimal point (an integer), just attach it to the resulting fraction afterwards.
- 0.25 = ?
Find the numerator: 25
Find the denominator: 0.25 = two decimal places = two zeroes = 100
Thus 0.25 = 25/100
- 1.33 = ?
Remove the integer (The integer is 1)
Find the numerator: 33
Find the denominator: 0.33 = two decimal places = two zeroes = 100
Thus 0.33 = 33/100
Attach the integer, Thus,1.33 = 1 33/100
Converting a Decimal to a Percent:
- Simply move the decimal point two places to the right
- Attach a percentage sign.
- 0.25 = 25%
- 0.08 = 08 % or 8%
- 0.9 = 0.90 = 90%
- 1.43 = 143%
The Lesson Series on Conversion